Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Realism in Video Games

P1. Many video games have tried to place realism in it
P2. When a person gets shot in real life, they are either killed or at least incapacitated
P3. In Call of Duty, your character only bleed out of his eyes, and damage rarely permanent when he is shot.
----
C. Video games can never be fully realistic.

I've never been much of a shooter fan, but I have seen some people play them. I've brought this point up with friends from my past. What would happen if the person in the video game was like a real person. The answer I got was: that would take the fun out of the game. You would always die whenever you get shot so you would only get one chance before GAME OVER. I see their point, since the point of video games isn't to show realism, but to let the players have fun.

second paragraph in: http://geek.pikimal.com/2011/08/10/editorial-an-argument-for-surrealism-in-games/

1 comment:

  1. I think that a lack of realism is usually implemented to enhance the gameplay. One could argue that subjectively, a game would not be fun if everything died in one shot.

    ReplyDelete